When trying to conceive, many couples experience vaginal dryness. According to one survey conducted by Fertility & Sterility 2003, vaginal dryness was experienced constantly by 11% of those surveyed, often by 35% and occasionally in 42%. Of those surveyed, 26% of couples often or always used lubricants, which is why the Michigan Center for Fertility & Women’s Health (MCFWH) conducted a clinical study to better understand the relationship between lubricants and its affect on sperm motility.
Several studies have examined common lubricants for their effect on sperm motility and found that it was impaired by synthetic, coital lubricants such as Astroglide and KY Jelly. Pre-Seed exhibited no significant decline in total sperm motility, but showed a decline in progressive sperm motility after 30 (~4%) and 60 minutes (~7%) of incubation.
OBJECTIVE & METHODS
Knowing this, MCFWH went a step further. It performed an unpublished pilot study to assess the impact of sperm motility when Pre-Seed and Sensual by in Harmony (an organic, coital lubricant) were used. Patients were recruited from MCFWH, a private, fertility center serving the greater Detroit area.
Method of Analysis of Sperm Motility (MCFWH Protocol)
- 1 packet Sensual lubricant in pre-tested specimen cups and one packet of Pre-Seed lubricant in a pre-tested specimen cups. Place both cups in 37-degree incubator and warm for 10 minutes.
- 5ul of semen placed on clean slide and cover with clean 22 x 22 mm cover slip.
- 5 tubes with the name Pre-Seed made into the following dilutions: 1/9 – one drop semen/8 drops lubricant, 1/6, 1/5, 1/2, 3/5.
- 5 tubes with the name Sensual made into the following dilutions: 1/9 – one drop semen/8 drops lubricant, 1/6, 1/5, 1/2, 3/5.
- 5ul on a slide labeled with the lubricant and the dilution. Cover with clean 22 x 22 mm cover slip and analyze specimens for motility.
- Incubate for 1 hour at 37˚C.
RESULTS & CONCLUSIONS
No matter the amount of ejaculate and the amount of lubricant used, sperm motility was consistently superior with Sensual. This holds true at all dilutions of lubricant/semen samples. Sensual, which is 100% organic, is sperm-friendly for a wider spectrum of semen volumes than the leading brand.
If you would like a copy of the clinical study, please click here.