I know first hand the frustration and despair that sets in when you can’t easily get pregnant. It’s a tough journey. One of the hardest that I went through. But in the end it worked out for me. I have a wonderful daughter. And it will work out for you too.
As you travel along your own journey, you might want to consider some of these mind body self care suggestions that others have found increase fertility.
1) Get enough sleep. Some research suggests a connection between poor sleep habits and infertility. So identify what is preventing you from sleeping soundly at night, and find the strength to address it. And when you are dragging during the day, consider going outside for a walk in the sun, which will help to reset your biological clock. Especially in the winter.
2) Cut back on caffeine. Some studies have found that consuming more than 300 mg of caffeine (about 3 cups) a day may reduce fertility and increase the risk of miscarriage. Not to mention it may keep you up at night! So cut back on the coffee, tea, and soda, and consider fending off that sluggish feeling by eating high energy foods like fruits, quinoa, oatmeal, nuts and foods high in omega3 like eggs and fatty fish. And drink lots of water. All of this will help you adjust naturally to less caffeine and increase energy levels.
3) Exercise appropriately. Most people don’t get enough exercise and they need to. Exercise is good for your heart, your lungs and immune system. Not to mention it keeps your weight at a healthier level. But over doing it, can actually decrease fertility. So if you find that you exercise excessively, remember that moderation is best.
4) Avoid Overeating & Junk Food Binging. Both of these habits lead to weight problems which tend to increase fertility problems. Plus eating this way causes your blood sugar to spike and there is a theory that insulin and fertility are connected.
5) Don’t Procrastinate. Your fertility declines as you age. If you’ve been trying to conceive for over a year, or 6 months if you are over 35, don’t put off speaking to a doctor today!
Check back next week on more mind body fertility suggestions. We want to help.